If you have not yet signed up for my my Newsletter yet, you can do so here. You will never miss a recipe anymore, and you’ll be the first to know about any Heavenlynn Healthy related news.
Now back to the REAL exciting things. With all the data requirement fuss going on this week, I was in deep need of something nourishing to refuel my body. If you’re a one-woman show and you’re doing all of the technical stuff yourself, things can quickly become too much to handle. That’s why I needed something light, delicious and nourishing this week, to help me cope with increasing stress levels. So I opted for white asparagus with a fresh lemon pesto and potato wedges.
I’m sure you already knew that asparagus is super healthy. We used to say that asparagus is super healthy, because it contains close to no calories. Which is true, but that’s not the reason why it is healthy. Asparagus fills up your body with minerals and vitamins, such as folate (a vitamin), that is especially important for pregnant women. Also, if you are planning on having a baby any time in the future, you should also stock up on asparagus as the folate helps the fertility. Asparagus main component is water and enzymes, so it is also a wonderful way to stay hydrated during these crazy hot spring days that we are currently experiencing in Germany.
So I guess we can all agree that we should eat more asparagus. If you enjoy it with a freshly made lemon pesto with arugula, mint and walnuts (or hemp), you’re really nourishing your body from the inside. Now enjoy this dish and don’t forget to take a deep breath in and out while reading this. You’ve just found your dinner inspiration, so no need to be stressed anymore!
- 500 g of white or green asparagus, peeled if white and ends cut off
- 400 g of small new potatoes, cut in fourth
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon, sliced
- sea salt and pepper
- 1 bunch of arugula, washed and dried
- 10 mint leaves, washed and dried
- 30 g of walnuts (or use any other nut if allergic)
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) of extra-virgin olive oil
- the juice of ½ lemon
- sea salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Slice half of the lemon. Mix the potatoes with one tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the asparagus in a baking dish aligned with baking paper, add the other tablespoon of olive oil and the juice of the remaining half a lemon. Mix well until the asparagus is covered in lemon juice and olive oil. Place the lemon slices between the asparagus. If room, place the baking dish onto a baking tray. Assort the potato wedges around the baking tray or place the potatoes on a new tray.
- Bake the asparagus and potatoes for about 30 – 40 minutes until the potatoes are nicely roasted. Half way through, give everything a stir. If the asparagus is too dry, add some more lemon juice.
- While the potatoes and asparagus bake, prepare the pesto. Place all of the ingredients into a food processor and pulse until you get a pesto-like texture. You want some chunks of walnuts to remain.
- minutes before serving, drizzle the asparagus with the pesto so the flavor can fully expand while in the oven.
- Serve the asparagus with the pesto and potato wedges. A nice side salad is the perfect addition to this dish.