Spring is finally here! Nothing makes me happier than the first warm sunbeam on my soon-to-be freckled nose. Going to the Saturday farmers’ market without a winter jacket felt so good that it even made me buy the first strawberries. I know, you’re not supposed to buy them yet, but I just could not resist. And don’t they look absolutely delicious on this photo? Well, I paired the strawberries with something just as delicious – healthy chocolate mousse with avocado and mint. As it turns out, chocolate mousse makes a great strawberry dip. Given that this mousse au chocolat only contains avocados, bananas, raw chocolate and cacao nibs, it really is a guilt-free Spring weekend snack.
Did you know that avocados contain more than 25 essential nutrients like Vitamins A, C, E & K or potassium and magnesium? Even better, the healthy fats in avocados increase the nutrient absorption of the other vegetables or fruits that you eat with it. I think that’s one of the best reasons to have an avocado a day, because it really does keep the doctor away.
Besides being a super cool way to sneak in greens into your kids’s dessert, this mousse can be thrown together in literally 5 minutes, 10 minutes with cleaning up all the probs. All you do is throw everything into a food processor or blender, and ready is the healthy chocolate mousse. It’s very important to use both ripe avocados and bananas, otherwise the recipe won’t work.
This mousse is also a great light dessert for spring or summer BBQs. Your guests will not believe what it’s made of when you tell them.
- 2 Bananas
- 1 Avocado
- 2 tablespoons of nut butter, I love it with almond butter
- 3 tablespoons of raw cacao (or 6 tablespoons of normal baking cacao)
- 5 -10 mint leaves, depending on how strong you like it
- 2 teaspoons of cacao nibs (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup (optional)
- Peel the bananas, cut the avocado in half, remove the seed and scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Place all the ingredients into a food processor or blender and mix well.
- Serve chilled in glasses or bowls.
Have you made this dish? I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below or tag me on Instagram or Facebook #heavenlynnhealthy.