These overnight oats have been my go-to-breakfast for probably about a year now. Since breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, I am already looking forward to it the minute I wake up. The oatmeal is so filling and gives me the right amount of energy to make it through the morning.
I’ve been eating this since my time in North Carolina where it helped me to get through all my finals and my bachelor’s thesis. Most of the nutrients in this breakfast dish come from the chia seeds, which are probably the most versatile and healthiest little seeds you will ever find. I am going to write a whole post on chia seeds soon, because they deserve lots of attention.
– calcium (important for bone, teeth, muscle and nerve health)
– fiber (important for heart health, lowers cholesterol level)
– iron (important for healthy red blood cells that transport oxygen through your body)
– magnesium (important for a healthy nerve system, muscle health, energy production)
– manganese (for nerve health)
– omega-3-fatty-acids (prevent heart disease, lower cholesterol and blood pressure)
– protein (important for a healthy metabolism, immune systems, production of enzymes)
– zinc (important for growth, skin, and a healthy immune system)
- 1 cup of frozen berries
- 1 cup (100g) of (gluten-free) oats
- 1½ cups (375ml) of unsweetened almond milk
- 4 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- The overnight oats can be prepared in less than 5 minutes. I like to prepare them at night so it can soak over night. It is totally enough though if you prepare them in the morning before taking a shower so they can soak for a minimum of 20-30 minutes.
- Simply add all the ingredients into your breakfast bowl and leave to soak overnight or for a minimum of 20-30 minutes. Top it with your favorite fruits or granola in the morning and your day will be filled with energy.
- The longer the oats soak, the better digestible they become, that's why they are originally called "overnight" oats. However, I am the worst when it comes to thinking ahead, so I really think that they already taste good after being soaked for 20 - 30 minutes.