I know my YouTube channel has been a bit quiet lately, but this is going to change from now on. I just shot three brand new videos that will be uploaded to YouTube within the next few weeks, starting today with this green spring smoothie with mint and basil video. Smoothies are the perfect way to get nutrients into your system, especially greens. Some days I just don’t feel like preparing a salad or cooking large meals, so smoothies help me get my fair share of vitamin K every day. One handful of basil, for example, gives you almost 100% of your recommended daily amount of vitamin K, which is important for blood clotting and blood sugar regulation.
Experimenting with herbs in smoothies is a fun way to spice up your smoothie, and basil and mint are great herbs to start with. You might want to take it slow with the mint leaves, as they can have quite a strong taste, but other than that I think this smoothie will please even the worst smoothie haters. What’s your favorite green smoothie flavor combination? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below.
- ½ cup (120ml) of freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup (120ml) of water
- 1 handful of spinach
- 1 handful of mint leaves, less or more according to taste
- 1 handful of basil leaves
- 100g of frozen mango
- 1 small banana
- ½ cucumber
- ½ avocado
- To prepare: Sqeeze the oranges. Cut the avocado in half, remove the stone, and scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Wash the spinach and mint and basil leaves if necessary. Peel the banana. Cut the cucumber in half, and cut half of it into bite-sized pieces.
- Place all the ingredients into a blender and blend until creamy and smooth. Add more water or orange juice if it is too creamy for you.
- Serve immediately in glasses or enjoy it as a smoothie bowl topped with your favorite toppings.